Oral Surgery Q & A
What is oral surgery?
Oral surgery refers to several procedures that help to repair or restore health to the teeth, gums, or jaw. Different types of oral surgery may include:
- Dental Implants: Dental implants are a great way to replace missing teeth and also provide a permanent alternative to removable dentures.
- Tooth extractions: With a simple or surgical tooth extraction, Dr. Choi can safely remove a diseased or decayed tooth.
- Bone grafting: Involves using specialized bone minerals and particulates to regenerate your own natural bone. Additional benefits include increasing the height or width of the available jawbone and fill in voids and defects in the bone for future implants or prosthesis.
- Wisdom teeth: In most cases, inadequate space in the mouth does not allow the wisdom teeth to erupt properly and become fully functional. When this happens, the tooth can become impacted in an undesirable or potentially harmful position. When teeth are positioned in a non-hygienic manner, infections and more serious conditions can arise. Wisdom teeth surgery removes these teeth.
- Sinus lift: When teeth have been missing for a long period of time or lost due to injury or periodontal disease, a sinus augmentation or lift can raise the sinus floor to allow for new bone formation and dental implant placement
Dr. Choi and his team can also provide 3D X-Rays, which provide a comprehensive view of your entire mouth and jaw.
What are the benefits of oral surgery?
Oral surgery can correct numerous problems related to the health of your teeth, gums, and jaw. Since many procedures help to prevent further deterioration of your oral health, this type of surgery can save you money in the long run.
From a cosmetic perspective, oral surgery may also help to provide more structure, shape, and definition to your jaw and face.
What is recovery from oral surgery like?
While each patient’s case is different, recovery after oral surgery is most predictable when proper post-treatment care is followed. Maintaining proper oral hygiene and allowing the site to heal uninterrupted will speed up the recovery.
A specialized post-treatment care sheet will be given to you. Dr. Choi and his team will take the time to walk you through each step of recovery and what to expect. As for some discomfort is often unavoidable, an appropriate pain management protocol will be put in place to make recovery as tolerable as possible. If there is any reason you need any assistance outside of regular office hours, Dr. Choi is available 24/7 through his emergency line.
Your recovery time will depend on your case and treatment plan, but Dr. Choi will make sure to schedule follow-up appointments with you as needed. To request a consultation with Dr. Choi today, call or use the easy online scheduling tool.